Monday, November 14, 2011

Hello Oregon!

Arrived in Oregon State last week Tuesday.  Although I flew into Portland, I am staying in Central Oregon.  There is one word for this place: STUNNING.  If you love hikes, rivers, mountains and snow then this is the place for you!

With my hosts for the next couple months... 
After being picked up at the airport, we had lunch in downtown Portland before driving home to Camp Sherman .

McKenzie Pass

On the second day after I arrived we took a drive into a nearby town called Sisters.  After doing some errands and having lunch there, we took a drive up to the McKenzie Pass.  The Pass is beautiful... You can look 360 degrees around at all the snow capped mountains.  There was hardly anybody around and I felt like I was in Narnia!  Especially exciting was the snow, which combined with the dark coloured lava fields, looked like cookies and cream.


It's coldddd
'Summit - McKenzie Pass - Elev 5325'


Walking up to the look-out... The wind was crazy freezing

This is my mum's cousin, Heidi, who I am staying with :)

Snow Ball'n!



McKenzie Pass closed!

Just this morning I read in the newspaper that the McKenzie Pass, that we went to just a few days ago and that I thought was awesome, has been closed for the season!!  Below is a rather interesting extract from the newspaper article:
"The closure date is about two weeks later than in the past two years, and efforts to reopen the highway will begin in mid-March..." - The Bulletin
          http://www.ktvz.com/news/29765841/detail.html

So, in summary, because she knew I was coming, Mother Nature decided that she would keep the weather favourable for 2 weeks longer than usual just so that I would get to see the Pass!


No comments:

Post a Comment